Israel National Trail Forum Index Israel National Trail
Israel National Trail and Jesus Trail

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
To buy the Israel National Trail guide (3rd Edition) at 25% discount please click here
Preface to the INT guide click here
For pictures of the Israel National Trail click here
Please help to promote the INT worldwide. Click here

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly
Gas Canister Options in Israel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Israel National Trail Forum Index -> General questions -> Food, Fuel & cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

Hummus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Gas Canister Options in Israel  Reply with quote

Shalom and many thanks for the forum and the guidebook  

I am probably going to bring my Gas Stove to Israel for my hikes, instead of my Alcohol Stove.

Yankale and Richard in the Meths thread refer to CampingGaz Butane Gas Canisters as an option found in Israeli camping and sports shops. CampingGaz Canister 190g model C206 is shown (Similar Image) in that thread - the model of CampingGaz canister which requires piercing the top and permanent stove attachment to it (unless an adaptor is used between Canister and the Stove), for the life of the canister's contents.

I was originally going to write in detail why I am asking for further information on canisters in Israel, and it is detail which may later help other foreign hikers at planning stage but it is probably best for me to go into that further following any feedback to my core question, which is -

Are the following kind of canisters also commonly found in Israel, along with CampingGaz C206 pierce top canisters?

(1) - CampingGaz CV270 (230g), CV300 (240g) or CV470 (450g) Butane canisters using a Easy Clic® Push Valve (Image)
(2) - Any Brands of Butane (or mixed) Canisters using the Lindal B188 7/16 NS Self Seal Screw Thread Valve (Image)

Both are valves from which detachment of a stove after each single use, is possible.

Various other factors have already been considered about my final choice (if there is more than one choice, that is) such as potential availability throughout the country depending on hiking location, to any big differences in price but I will go into that after getting any feedback.

Toda Raba
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV270 is available.
Hummus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Yankale. If CV70 Canisters are now confirmed, my research prior to posting shows that my current Gas Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket (which attaches directly onto canisters using the 'Lindal B188 7/16 NS Self Seal Screw Thread Valve') can be used with the CampingGaz CV70 canisters by fitting a small adapter like the EPCA-P2 Elderid Easy Clic Adaptor. In your experience of the trail, are CV70 Canisters best obtained from outdoor shops in big towns and cities, or also able to be obtained in small towns and Gas stations in more remote areas along the trail?
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all of them. The only tricky area is the desert but you can buy them in Eilat, Mitzpe Ramon and Arad.
Since they are not too heavy I'd carry one spare canister with me.
Hummus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Yankale

One last question on Gas Canisters, for budgeting purposes......

Do you happen to know the 'average' price in Shekels, for CV270 Canisters in 2014?
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found one on the internet for NIS 34 ~ $10. I know it is expensive but Israel is not a cheap country  
Hummus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIS 34 comes to about £5.80 in British Pounds. One of our major outdoor companies in Britain lists the CV300 240g online (CV300 has superceded sale of CV270 here now) for £5.00 (approximately US$8.5). It is a price similarity that was close to my expectations for Israeli prices, after some general travel in Israel some years back. Currently my intentions are to use a stove moderately on the trail, and it always surprises me how long canisters can last when used that way. If I choose to use this system, I'll do my best to record purchase prices along the way in various areas, how long the canisters are lasting with different usage, and then report this back to the forum for other's interest. Many thanks for your help, Yankale.
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your hike  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Israel National Trail Forum Index -> General questions -> Food, Fuel & cooking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: