Israel National Trail Forum Index Israel National Trail
Israel National Trail and Jesus Trail

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
To buy the Israel National Trail guide (3rd Edition) at 25% discount please click here
Preface to the INT guide click here
For pictures of the Israel National Trail click here
Please help to promote the INT worldwide. Click here

As foreign visitor, is it possible to rent gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

theberge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: As foreign visitor, is it possible to rent gear  Reply with quote

Hello all, I am visiting the middle east from the US and  am very interested in doing at least part of the Israel National Trail but am not outfitted with camping equipment.

Is it possible to rent a backpack, sleeping bag+pad or tent from an outfitter in Eliat, Tel Aviv or Jerusalem? Ideally, I'd be coming from Eliat and heading to Jerusalem and trying to do so in 20 days or so (I hike fast!)

I realize this is the hot season but think I can handle it.

Anyway, any suggestions for renting gear would be appreciated as I would prefer not to have to buy brand new camping gear that I already own at home.

I am assuming I would need the typical gear that I would carry when doing back-country backpacking in the United States. Please correct me if I can get away with less gear (i.e. if it doesn't get  cold enough at night to need a sleeping bag, etc.

Thanks,
Alex
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get a used backpack free of charge for the duration of the hike. Contact Ori - 054-4964276 or Odelia - 052-3542978.

Don't know of any other rent a gear option.

Any section between Arad and Dan (600 km) is doable.

Please stay out of the desert, it is extremely dangerous to hit the desert in summer.

Last edited by yankale on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
theberge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you for the information. I will contact Uri and Odelia. I have read a bit and see that this is the wrong time for desert hiking and that Arad to Dan is the only option. That is fine with me, I'm definitely not looking to get heat stroke!

Do you know if its possible to stay at kibutz, guesthouses, and established campsites the entire length of the trip? That would significantly cut down on the gear I need obviously (i.e. won't need tent or cooking equipment).

Thanks,
Alex
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in transportation and accommodations.
melamedori

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: backpack Reply with quote

Alex Hey
As yankale told  you, you can get from us a professional backpacks free of charge. It is a memorial to a friend who was killed during a trip. There is a website www.masa-lamasa.org
but it is  in Hebrew. Perhaps we will translate into English a few pages this week. In principle we are in Tel Aviv. If you start in Eilat Maybe I can send the bag to eilat and you will return it to Tel Aviv. Also I  check the option to leave your equipment in Eilat with friends and they may be able to send it to tel aviv.  Last thing, we don't have a professional sleeping bag' but a simple one we can give you.
Ori 054-4964276
theberge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ori - Thank you so much  for the offer. I am actually planning to arrive in Eliat from Jordan tomorrow and will probably head to Tel Aviv first for a few days and  get my things sorted out before going on the trail. I will contact you when I arrive.

I used Google Translate to read the website. It is very moving. I'm sorry to hear about Elan's death. So young and so full of life. Your project to honor him is quite beautiful. I hope my friends would do the same for me.

Anyway, I will definitely be in touch.

Alex
michael_lindsey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

I would like to echo Yankale's advice not only to stay out of the desert, but to take extra precautions north of there.  As he says in http://israeltrail.myfastforum.org/about113.html, "You'll have to rest in the shade during the hot hours of the day: 10:00-16:30. Hiking in summer means carrying more water 5-6 liters / day in the north too."

I can tell you from recent experience (yesterday) that even on a mild day for seasonal standards, partly cloudy with refreshing breezes, you will get stuck in places with no shade overhead in the middle of the day, and you will make your life miserable if you just try to push through it. This is not a question of being a fit or fast hiker. Rely on local wisdom for self-preservation. :D

Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

This thread is a nice one and I like the fact that there are more participants than usual in a single thread.

It also demonstartes the importance of the forum rules (1,5). There were three important issues discussed, the title mentions only one.

Please stick to the forum rules and help others to find here info.

Last edited by yankale on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
michael_lindsey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankale,

I'm glad to oblige, but what is the link to these rules? I cannot find them in the index.

Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you post, the rules appear on the right side of the posting window.
melamedori

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex
i hope you are not plaining to die on the trail :) ("I hope my friends would do the same for me").
just laughing...
ori
theberge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Ori, no, I am very much planning to live but I've been traveling around the world for about 16 months and have had a few "close calls" and the story of your friend is certainly a reminder that life is short.

Based on much feedback I've decided to start in Jerusalem and head north to Dan, which I think I can do in my timeframe. Thank you for the advice regarding summer hiking here, I will take it to heart. I've had heatstroke before hiking in the desert and definitely not interested in repeating that.

One last gear question, can someone recommend a good camping equipment store in Tel Aviv to get basic supplies and the English guidebook for the INT?

Thanks a lot everyone, this forum is a great resource and makes hiking the INT for a foreigner much more accessible,
Alex
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theberge wrote:
Haha Ori, no, I am very much planning to live but I've been traveling around the world for about 16 months and have had a few "close calls" and the story of your friend is certainly a reminder that life is short.

Based on much feedback I've decided to start in Jerusalem and head north to Dan, which I think I can do in my timeframe. Thank you for the advice regarding summer hiking here, I will take it to heart. I've had heatstroke before hiking in the desert and definitely not interested in repeating that.

One last gear question, can someone recommend a good camping equipment store in Tel Aviv to get basic supplies and the English guidebook for the INT?

Thanks a lot everyone, this forum is a great resource and makes hiking the INT for a foreigner much more accessible,
Alex
I'd say it's better to start in Dan (/Nimrod)  and hike to Jerusalem. You'll enjoy less sticky days in the north.

See an answer about the camping store  here. Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Israel National Trail Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: