Israel National Trail Forum Index Israel National Trail
Israel National Trail and Jesus Trail

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
To buy the Israel National Trail guide (3rd Edition) at 25% discount please click here
Preface to the INT guide click here
For pictures of the Israel National Trail click here
Please help to promote the INT worldwide. Click here

Roller pack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
binny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Roller pack  Reply with quote

My ticket to Israel was dated April 14. However, the day before I messed up my back merely tossing a frisbee and so I had to reschedule for the fall. Meanwhile, I've been looking for ways to carry my load without feeling so much like a "beast of burden."
Enter the dixonrollerpack.com
I don't know if this will work but I bought one and have tested it out a bit.  It's okay on dirt road or "normal" trail. It's not so good on steep, rocky trail. For those "impossible" situations, the rollerpack can be converted to an emergency backpack (wheel points down and handle bars point skyward while shoulder straps and waist belt position it on your back). Not the most comfortable but it's bearable for a mile or so.
My question is this...using rough percentages, how much of the trail is
1- dirt or paved road
2- groomed, "normal" footpath where you don't have to constantly be looking down at your feet for fear of stumbling and can actually get a nice pace going
3- constant bumpy, rugged, sharp rocks or boulders that are hard on the feet and goes on and on and on without relief for long intervals
4- vertical climbing up ladders and steep rock
5-loose sand and gravel
6-any other condition I haven't thought of yet?
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Dirt road ~45% / paved road ~1%.
2. ~40%
3. ~6%
4. ~6%
5. ~2%
6. Crossing creeks - very short.
richardsmith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binny, I've written you a personal note on this, but for the purposes of this forum, I suggest you drop the idea of a roller pack.  It would be impossible to haul through many sections of the Negev due to climbing requirements, terrain, elevation changes, etc.  In the north I can only think of two or three short sections where a roller pack would work.  Then dragging it through the sand along the coast would make you crazy.  I encourage you to look for other options, such as making a series of day hikes from a central point.  The transportation system is excellent and can get you back to where you started, and you can also hitch-hike.
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to share my experience with a baby stroller that I use when I hike with my granddaugher.

It can go almost anywhere. Here it is on the beach between Beit Yanai and Netanya.

On steep stretches she hikes and I push the stroller. This is equivalent to carrying the Rollerpack on your back.

I believe that the Rollelrback is a reasonable solution. I'd say that staying in one place for a week and hiking
the trail in the region is also a good solution. It is not cheap though.
binny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Divergent opinions... Reply with quote

I consider both of you the experts since you've been there and I haven't.

A follow-up question (that takes into account what you've both said) is this (and I realize it's difficult to generalize):

Does the "difficult 12%" tend to be found randomly or does it tend to be clustered in compact sections?
In other words, does there tend to be "long" stretches of "reasonable" trail (meaning a few miles) punctuated by short stretches (a few hundred yards, say) of "impossible" trail?
If that were the case, I think I could manage it. But if it was start-stop-start-stop of good, then bad, then good, then bad trail over the course of a "single" mile, I could see where that would drive me insane!

Perhaps I have to just accept the rollerpack for what it is, not a slam-dunk solution but simply an alternative with its pluses and negatives, then buck up when the going gets tough, knowing that "this too shall pass." Which is pretty much what backpacking in general is like!
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficult 12% are spread along the trail but mostly in the desert.
richardsmith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binny, I respectfully disagree with my friend Yankale.  I hiked most of the trail in February and March, when it rained 35 days out of 60.  In the north there was mud, water, stream crossings, slick trails up and down mountains, and much terrain not even suitable for mountain bikes, let along a rolling suitcase.  Wadi Amud was an interesting test, and Wadi Dishon was like walking in a river.  Well, I was walking in a river.  Below Ein Hod was a trail with much brush and cactus.  And the Negev, with its cliffs, dry waterfalls, steep slopes, etc., is out of the question for your rollerpack.  Just my opinion of course.

OK, the photo does not seem to be loading in the "preview."  Try this page, http://www.israeltrail.net/journal5.html, to see a photo of the trail over the Carmel, one of the nicest sections of the trail in Israel in my opinion, and also the closest thing I found to the Appalachian Trail.

[url=http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1573233/66.jpg][img]http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1573233/66.jpg[/img][/url]
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about the rain. Read in the season to hike : spring hiking.
In Nahal Dishon you cross the water about 10 times so you put the roller on your back.  
Hundreds and thousans of hikers cross the Dishon stream each year Binny will be just another one.
And if it rains cats and dogs then you take a day or two off like all hikers do.

Negev hiking: I've done a more precise calculation: 170 out of 400 km  you'll have to carry the roller on your back.
The other 230 are rough for your wheels. I was thinking of similar type of wheels that I use for the baby stroller.
They will go on almost any terrain except for vertical climbing.

So yes I agree with Richard: For your type of wheels the desert is bad news.
Rain: No problem you can hike in fall from the north and avoid the rain completely.  

Binny: I do hope that you understand that you are treated like a royalty, top level service for almost 5 years now.

I hope we can see a return on investment and meet you on the trail this coming fall.
binny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's discouraging to realize I bought the 1st edition when that first came out, then the 2nd edition. I'll probably end up with the 3rd before all is said and done.
But I perform best when expectations are low or non-existent. I'm just trying to keep this old body of mine together long enough to do one more thru-hike. The last long hike I did was 3 years ago and it ended badly. My tibia (left knee area) had become bone-bruised for no apparent reason. No overt trauma but just regular walking over regular terrain. I couldn't even walk the last 50 miles and had to hitch, the pain was so bad.
So with that dark cloud hanging over my head...
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The positive side is that you keep buying the guides  :D

Have you tried Curcumin to treat your pain?

If you did not, please open a new thread on General.
binny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll try my best to make you a rich man.
The pain is gone. What remains is a knee that's unstable and unpredictable. So I carry elastic bandages, use special insoles for the shoes, go as light as possible and hope for the best after having experienced the worst.
yankale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Curcumin helps you, but please read here, just in case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Israel National Trail Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: